Happy Tuesday Friends!
I need some advice from you master quilters out there today. :)
This is my current quilt in progress. This quilt top has been a WIP for about 4 years. It has been an off and on project only because I don't have a lot of space for quilting. I live in a little apartment. I only have a small dining room table to work on. So you can imagine that working on big quilt tops is challenging and can be somewhat frustrating too. I just don't have adequate space to sew them on. What I wouldn't give for my own craft room I tell ya! Here is my quilt top all pieced together:
This quilt is a special project in the making. I will tell you the story behind this. My parents and I went to Pennsylvania about five years ago for a family reunion. My stepmother really wanted a handmade quilt from an Amish store. Little did she know how MUCH handmade quilts from an Amish store cost. She saw some for $500 - $600 dollars and was floored. We literally drove around to different stores for about 2 - 3 hours the day we were leaving back home. Needless to say, she didn't buy one. I could tell she was disappointed. So I set out to make her one myself. I thought this patchwork design was perfect and I really liked the colors. Thankfully, I found the fabric and pattern as a kit from a seller on E-Bay. I'm so indecisive when it comes to picking colors out for a quilt. That part of the process is stressful for me.
Now I ask you quilting ladies, besides quilting in the ditch, do you have any other suggestions for how I should quilt this? I'm hoping to finish this for Christmas morning for my step mom.
Thank you for your suggestions. :)
Jen
I need some advice from you master quilters out there today. :)
This is my current quilt in progress. This quilt top has been a WIP for about 4 years. It has been an off and on project only because I don't have a lot of space for quilting. I live in a little apartment. I only have a small dining room table to work on. So you can imagine that working on big quilt tops is challenging and can be somewhat frustrating too. I just don't have adequate space to sew them on. What I wouldn't give for my own craft room I tell ya! Here is my quilt top all pieced together:
This quilt is a special project in the making. I will tell you the story behind this. My parents and I went to Pennsylvania about five years ago for a family reunion. My stepmother really wanted a handmade quilt from an Amish store. Little did she know how MUCH handmade quilts from an Amish store cost. She saw some for $500 - $600 dollars and was floored. We literally drove around to different stores for about 2 - 3 hours the day we were leaving back home. Needless to say, she didn't buy one. I could tell she was disappointed. So I set out to make her one myself. I thought this patchwork design was perfect and I really liked the colors. Thankfully, I found the fabric and pattern as a kit from a seller on E-Bay. I'm so indecisive when it comes to picking colors out for a quilt. That part of the process is stressful for me.
Now I ask you quilting ladies, besides quilting in the ditch, do you have any other suggestions for how I should quilt this? I'm hoping to finish this for Christmas morning for my step mom.
Thank you for your suggestions. :)
Jen
10 comments:
Well I am not an experienced quilter..So i wont comment on the quilting part. However, it sure is pretty!!
You know me I don't so but I just wanted to tell you it's beautiful quilt!
It is a beautiful quilt. Have you ever considered hand tying it for quilting? I think this quilt top would really lend itself to that method of quilting.
its beautiful, I love the colours, I always struggle with how to quilt things. Stitch in the ditch and perhaps something in the dark blue crosses...some hatching or something
Jen, it is lovely. Do you want to stay with the Amish style of quilting or do simple quilting? You could do free motion quilting, in the blue blocks & stitch in the ditch on the pastel colored blocks.Your stepmother will love it anyway you quilt it.
Hi Jenn, any way that you quilt it, it will be loved and appreciated by your step mom. It is a true gift of love.
I think that "in the ditch" and cross-hatching would be fitting.
I'm not a quilter, but must say that your quilt top is gorgeous, Jen!
OK, no expert here, but if it were me and the story were mine, I would shadow quilt each color square and shadow each "cross" (the blue squares) in order to keep it simple and sedate. It came out beautiful! She will love it no matter how you do it!
Not a master quilter... not anything quilter, actually.... LOL!!! Just want to say that I love your quilt!! :D
Post a Comment