Saturday, July 7, 2012

Having fun with Red, White and Blue Today


Welcome Blog Hoppers!

I hope you are enjoying the wonderful Red, White and Blue inspiration on this blog hop. I am in the company of so many talented quilters. I am amazed by the lovely projects I have seen so far. A big thank you to Jane and Madame Samm for organizing this fun blog hop and for letting me participate once again.

I have a fun quilt block to share with you all today.

I found a wonderful little fat quarter bundle of 5 patriotic fabrics that I just had to use for my project. I found this pattern called "Rosebud" on the internet. It can be found right here. There are many other freebie quilt patterns on that site too. This pattern was so simple to put together. Anything with patches is fun to me. I am not a fan of piecing triangles, especially little ones. I like sewing strips and working with squares. Those I can handle just fine. Triangles and diamonds... lets just say I need an extra two doses of patience before working with those.

I machine quilted my little table quilt using gold metallic thread. I like how diagonal quilt lines contrast with block patterns. The middle block took some thinking. I didn't want to quilt over the flower design and take attention away from it so I opted to outline the flower twice to make it pop. I also did a little decorative stitch around the edge of the block for more interest.

I hope you enjoyed seeing my creation. For added fun today, I am offering a giveaway to you hoppers. I am offering a $10.00 gift certificate to The Fat Quarter Shop. For a chance to win, please leave a comment on this post telling me you are interested. You do not have to be a follower, but please make sure you leave me a way to contact you. I will draw a winner on Saturday, July 14.

There is more fun up ahead. Here is the schedule for today.


July 7th

If you get lost along the way, just click here to go to Jane's blog for the Master list. 

Take Care Friends!
Jen

102 comments:

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Happy Hop Day! Great block. I also love to work with squares. There are so many things you can do with them. Love the middle fabric. Has a mod 70's feel to it. You did a wonderful job. Thanks for playing!

HeatherK @ A Reformed Heath'n said...

Thanks for sharing with us all. I can so see myself using this quilt block some time. Great job!

Grammasheri said...

This is one of those terrifically versatile blocks that can be like a chameleon: change the color/value placement and it's a whole 'nother block. The glitzy metallic thread really dresses up the center motif. Lovely!

Judith said...

Another lovely block on the hop! Enjoy your post today and look forward to seeing more of your blocks...Judith, Reynolds

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Hey, the square block is the base of all blocks! Thank you for sharing your creativity with us today.

Sunshine Girl said...

Block is lovely - like the way you outlined the flower to make it pop more. Thanks for sharing.

Julie said...

Would love to be entered :) Love the block -- the flower just pops. Thanks for the giveaway.

Zuzan said...

Now for something completely different what an amazing hop already thank you for your block and the give-away. (I've already spent it) And I am a new follower, cheeky.

Shelia said...

Hey Jen, Great work on the block. Love the patriotic fabrics. Thanks for participating in the bloghop and for all of the inspiration. Happy Quilting.

JudyCinNC said...

Love your use of color in your table topper - really makes it pop. Always enjoy an opportunity to win. Thanks for sharing. Judy C

Jeanie said...

I'm interested! I love the Fat Quarter Shop. Very sweet block! Thanks so much! :)

Sheila said...

Great block and your fabrics are just perfect:-) Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Very nice block, Jen. This blog hopping is so much fun. Thanks for sharing your block with me this morning.

Karen M said...

Thanks for sharing your block and thanks for the chance to win.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Jen this is a wonderful block and I love that you used gold thread to quilt with - it added such sparkle. I hate working with triangles too and just about won't unless I can use Thangles to do it! I'd love to win the gift certificate - I love that shop! blessings, marlene

Carol Swift said...

Beautiful block! The gold thread really blings it up. Nice giveaway--very generous of you. :O)

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

What an adorable block...love how you quilted it!! I'd love to be included in your generous giveaway..thanks for the chance!

Karen said...

Thanks for the chance to win in the giveaway. I love the fabric and the pattern you chose. They work so well together and your block really turned out nice!

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Jen. I agree the block is fun..friendly..a block that just puts a smile on your face by looking at it. Thank you for the link to the pattern.

I would love a chance at your giveaway! Fat Quarter Shop is on my Bookmark Toolbar making it quick to find!

lou said...

Thanks for the block. This blog hop has been great fun and inspiring. It is to be 106 degrees or more today. I am off to the basement to sew. Thanks again.

Betsy said...

Love the block!

beaquilter said...

fun block, I love that center fabric.... of course I'd love a gift card too

krislovesfabric said...

Thanks for sharing your block and having a giveaway, I am a new follower :)...nice to hop with you!

Purl Buttons said...

I am always interested in new block ideas and quilty giveaways--especially to Fat Quarter Shop!

Sparky said...

Hi Jen, well you captured the essence of your project...well done

carla said...

Love your block!!!! I also feel a 70's spirit about it!!!! Cool!!! Love love love it!!!! Thanks

Needled Mom said...

I can see using a lot of fun fabrics to make this block. Great idea.

I would love to win and inprove my stash!

JoyceLM said...

Great block. Would love to win the gift certificate - thanks for the chance.

Katherine said...

Oh, so pretty! I love the applique and the sparkle the gold thread added. Beautiful!

Thanks for sharing, Jen!

Lyn said...

what a fun block. Thanks for sharing

Lucky Duck Dreams said...

Such a happy block! And such a nice giveaway!

Linda said...

I have really enjoyed this week's blog hop. Thank you for participating. Also, thanks for your giveaway.

Sandy D said...

Great Block and I love the center fabric.Happy 4th to you from a Canadian.

Corrie said...

What a fun tabletopper!

Kathleen said...

I love your quilt...thanks for the giveaway...

VickiT said...

Great looking block Jen and the quilting done with the metallic thread really sets it off beautifully. I owuld definitely be interested in the giveaway as I'm sure everyone would be.

Thank you for showing us and the giveaway.

Judy B said...

Great block! Thank you for the giveaway.

Anonymous said...

NEAT BLOCK>THANKS FOR SHARING IT!
THANKS TOO FOR THE FQS GIFT!

msstitcher1214@yahoo.com

Wendy said...

What a fun block! I really like your fabric and your gold metalic thread! AWEsome!! :) Thank you so much for sharing!!

Gmama Jane said...

Your block is so different, colorful, and would make a great quilt center or even a table topper with a couple more blocks. Thanks for hopping with us!
Gmama Jane
P.S I am a follower
jehillis@gmail.com

Renea said...

Very pretty block. Love the fabrics you used. Thanks for the giveaway.

Kathy H said...

Great block and I liked the flower in the center and how you quilted it. I don't like working with triangles much either but I am getting better at them. I would love to be entered in your giveaway. thanks for the chance.

Darlington Delights said...

I love your RWB block and you now have a new email follower! Hope I win the gift certificate! Thanks for the opportunity.

MoeWest said...

Great block! I love the fabrics you used and the way your quilting highlights the block.

Unknown said...

Great block! Have fun quilting! Thanks for the chance to win the gift certificate!

Mrs.Pickles said...

great looking block!

KatieQ said...

Thank you for sharing the link to the Rosebud block. I like the way you fussy cut the center square. When I first looked at your block, I thought the center was appliqued. I love blocks with squares. Triangles are my nemesis. Thanks for offering the giveaway.

Kathy MacKie said...

very cute block-enjoying all the blogs creative ideas, thanks.

barbara woods said...

hi jen i miss your other blog thanks for the giveaway

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

Loved your fun fabrics and block!!

Carrie P. said...

really nice block. and thanks for the giveaway. Come by my blog for a giveaway too.

LJ said...

What glorious patriotic fabrics! Great block. Outlining the flower was exactly right. I'd love to win; thank you.

Martha said...

Hey! Thanks for the chance in your giveaway. This bloghop has been lots of fun.
mtower@bellsouth.net

Jeselnik said...

Thanks for sharing your block. I have officially been quilting for 1 week! I have already started 2 quilt alongs, so the giveaway will certainly be used if I win!

Kate Brown said...

I love your block, it kind of reminds me of artwork from the 70s.adding the gold thread was a great choice too.

BizyStitches said...

Wow, it took me 4 tries to get to the comment box. I would go in and out of your blog in hopes of being able to be in your drawing. Thanks. Love the block and fabric, I'm with you about not likeing diamonds etc. Easy Peasy for me.

Judy1522 said...

That is a great block! I like the quilting that you did in gold thread. I also like the fact that it says Oregon on it twice as that is my state. Would love to win a $10 gift certificate from the fat quarter shop that is an awesome shop.

Rosa said...

Great block and lovely fabrics!!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Wonderful block. This hop is so much fun!
:)

prairie said...

Hi: Thanks for letting us visit. Your block is really cute and so patriotic. I just love rw&b in quilts.

Brenda said...

Love the block and thank you for sharing the link to the instructions!

Marcia W. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marcia W. said...

Cool block - I like that extra bit of quilting around the flower and the thread color. Thanks for the rwb giveaway too - I am interested. alternate email mlwright29(at)hotmail(dot)com

Rhonda D. said...

Great block! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the chance to win!

The Slow Quilter said...

That is a Woo block, really like it. This is a great hop, meeting new blogs and joinning.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful block and love your fabrics! The gold stitching is perfect! What a great giveaway too!

tink's mom said...

Thanks for sharing the great block. Your center flower power fabric is wonderful. I'm not big on working with triangles but I have HST in almost everything I do. I just always start with 2 squares sew then trim. By the way I would love a chance to win.

Cecilia said...

Thanks for a great block. Sometimes I prefer just squares too. Thanks for the chance to win.

ljeanne said...

Of course I am interested. This is a nice prize. Thank you for the giveaway.

Stephanie said...

Thanks for sharing such a great resource! I love free patterns, and this one is so great!!! I am most certainly interested in the giveaway! The fat quarter shop is so great!

Pam said...

Hiya Jen, your block is lovely, so fun. I'd love to win your giveaway! I'm a new quilter, so every little bit helps. Thank you for offering it. Blessed be, hugs.
playamom57@yahoo.com

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Throw my name in the hat.

rush said...

love your entry into the red, white and blue! i would love to have a gift certificate to get some fabric! rush88888 at gmail dot com

mary mahoo said...

I love your block. Your fabric has just the right amount of whimsy to tickle me. Thanks sfor the chance to win.

Becca Sadler said...

Jen: I stopped by your blog to see what you have been creating lately and admired your patriotic quilt challenge. Way to go! I like how you balanced out your fabric selections!

Karen O said...

Love that little quilt. I especially like the gold thread accents. A GC to Fat Quarter Shop would be wonderful! Thank you for your generosity.

Jodi - usairdoll said...

Your mini is so lovely! I love the flower in the middle. Triangles give me a headache most of the time but I do like how they look.

Thank you for a great giveaway and a chance to win. Lots of great fabric at FQS.

usairdoll(at)gmail(dot)com

Laurie in Maine said...

Nice work! Catching up with what I missed the last couple of days. (sew more/computer less ;) Thanks for the chance.

Lee said...

I love your blog and thanks for being part of the hop. I would love to have my name in for the draw for the fat quarter shop! thank you!

Quilt Doodle Designs said...

Wonderful block! I love the fabric for your center square! Very fun! Thank you for sharing :)

OneOldGoat said...

Please include me on the giveaway. And thank you! I don't know how other quilters keep their heads from exploding! So many beautiful quilt blocks! I love the one on your site today but with a simple WOW center to have all the members of my daughter's unit to sign. I'll be sure to send you a picture of it!

Josie McRazie said...

Thanks for sharing with us on the hop! I just love to hop!! I love to win (however it really doesn't happen much lol) have a great time with the rest of the hop!! :o)

Kate said...

Fun block! Love how you highlighted the flower in the center. Very patriotic.

Cindy said...

Love this block! I am interested in the drawing of course, and I will follow your blog. It looks great. Thanks!

Scrapbook-ChickADoodle said...

What a pretty flower block. I love your creativity.

Thanks for the opportunity to win!!

bets said...

Interested!of course...love to follow your blog too! Hope I win....can always use more material!

Maria Kievit said...

Nice block! Thanks for participating in the blog hop! New follower.

Ariane said...

What a great block!! It looks great!!! Thanks for the wonderful giveaway!!!

hueisei said...

Cute block! I love the fabrics :)
I'd love to enter.

Sallie said...

Thanks for sharing and for entering me in your giveaway!

pinsandneedles said...

Your block is lovely. Using the gold thread really makes it sparkle. Thanks for a chance in your generous giveaway!

Beulah said...

I just love blog hop tours...a well of wonderful ideas! thanks for sharing!!! :D

sowingstitches [at] gmail [dot] com

Margaret said...

I love shopping for fabric at the Fat Quarter Shop. Winning would give me an excuse to go there and look at pretties.

leanne said...

such a darling little mini quilt - thanks for sharing and for your generous giveaway :)

Anonymous said...

I'm Interested! I Love your RWB Rosebud Table Quilt! I lot the gold metallic quilting too! I would love a chance to win the gift certificate from the Fat Quarter Shop! Thanks for this Great Giveaway!

Michele said...

That is a really cute block. Thanks for sharing it. And who wouldn't be interested in a gc? Not me.

aiah23 said...

I love your block! I am interested in the giveaway. Thanks so much for sharing, not only the giveaway but also your talent!

Veronica said...

Pretty quilt block. Love the red, white and blue colours.

Hugs,
Veronica.

Gill said...

Great block!
Please enter me in your giveaway!

robin said...

I love Fat Quarter Shop - thanks for the chance! :)

Sandra J. Strickler said...

Gorgeous block! Would love to win!

Beezus said...

I love the selection offered by FQS -- it's probably just as well that they are very limited in the FQs that they sell . . .