Hello There!Just wanted to share my new stitchy creation that I am working on. Yes I am actually posting about a project that is not paper related! LOL. I figure I have to stop letting my paper creations hog up all my blog space. My other projects deserve the spotlight too every now and then. ;-)
My project shown here is a crocheted baby afghan that I started. I found this kit in a catalog and thought it would be a perfect little gift for my co-worker who just had a baby girl in November. The pattern is called a Round Ripple Baby Afghan and the finished blanket will be 40" round when finished. I am about 50% done with it so far and I just started it last weekend. I can honestly say this will be my first crochet project I have completed when it is done. Crochet has always been one of the crafts that I knew how to do but didn't know much (if that makes sense). My great aunt and great grandmother taught me when I was about 11 and it frustrated me at first. I remember I was sitting on my aunt's porch practicing and then I stopped and somehow feel asleep and took a little nap. Magic must have happened while I slept cause I woke up and all of sudden was crocheting (minus the frustration)! So I've known how to crochet I just never had the motivation to do a project until now. Plus when you don't know how to read the patterns and all those weird terms like sl st, dc, sc...it doesn't give you much motivation to try doing a project. BUT I thought..Hey! if I can teach myself to knit (which I did with a DVD), I can figure out crochet and how to read those weird abbreviations for patterns. This pattern has been refreshing easy except for the beginning which took about 30 times of starting over before I got the ring pattern and stitch count down correctly. Yes...counting stitches frequently is a must in this craft. The stitches are all double crochet(except the middle which has single crochet and half-double crochet). This project is giving me great practice and I'm finding it to be therapeutic. I should finish this project fairly quickly.
I'm going out of town this weekend for a few days and plan on taking this with me. Me, my boyfriend and son are a bowling family and this weekend we are traveling to a tournament for my son. We are bowling with him, but we get nothing for doing good. He's the one that will benefit. We will just get a handshake. LOL Anyways, a weekend away is due for me so I am looking forward to this trip. I will post a progress pic when I get back.
Thanks for visiting and Happy Crafting!
Jen
3 comments:
I hope you had a great weekend, Jen! I always love the chance to get away, I come back centered and with more energy! My grandmother taught me to crochet when I was 8 - I had a full leg cast on for the summer and was bored. I've never crocheted since I got the cast off - I had too much pent up energy LOL. Very sweet blanket - I'm sure your friend will love it.
Very pretty blanket! I am sure your co-worker will love it!
Thanks for your comment on my baby set. Somehow I missed seeing your own baby blanket until your comment sent me over here to look! It looks like a wonderful gift! I look forward to seeing the finished project -- as well as the cross-stitch you're working on now! :D
Post a Comment