Monday, August 8, 2011

Another weekend gone...

Don't you just hate how fast the weekends go by? It is one thing for the weekends to go by fast, but have you noticed the days go by faster when you are on vacation...I have. I had four days off this weekend. I took off last Thursday and Friday. Thursday was my son Christian's 7th birthday. I took off Friday just because. I was not about to take off Thursday only to have to work on Friday, you know what I mean?


I was not in the mood to do the birthday party thing this year. It is too stressful and expensive and I wanted to do something different. Well we decided to take Christian to Grand Rapids Water Park in Riviera Beach, FL. It is about a two hour drive from Miami. Not too bad unless you are a 7 year old child then it feels like days that you are sitting in the car. We had about two hours of fun thanks to the weather. An FYI about Florida in the summer...not only does it get unbearably hot and humid, but it rains, rains, rains and oh! rains!. Not to mention we are the lightning capital of the world. Well as luck would have it, it rained at the park. It did stop, but since thunder could still be heard, the lifeguards kept everyone out of the water. Bummer! Well on the upside, we received free passes to come back. That made me happy considering the park tix were not cheap.

Then to add to Christian's birthday weekend, I took him to see The Smurfs movie and then to Chuckie Cheese for some games on Saturday. If you have kids, The Smurfs is a really cute movie to take them to. We saw the non 3-D movie. I really wished I had bought the 3-D passes instead. So don't make my mistake, see it in 3D! Chuckie Cheese...well what can I say...a zoo as always where the parents let the kids do whatever they want! Not to mention, you have to spend a bazzillion dollars on games just to get enough tickets so your kid can get a somewhat decent prize. I'm really glad birthdays are once a year. I'll leave it at that.

I managed to get some stitching time in yesterday and today. Yay for me! I would have had more but today I had a bowling tournament and was away most of the day for that.  Here is my progress on my Nora Corbett "J" Fairy:

This is the "J" by the way of the design. I'm working down the length of the letter. I'm working on the letter first and then I'll move onto the fairy. I did two more of these mid sections of stitching and attached the beads. This picture is not as closeup cause the flash of my camera causes a crappy glare of the beads. Can't have that!

Hope you all have a great week and are able to get some stitches into your projects.

Till next time, Happy Crafting
Jen




11 comments:

mdgtjulie said...

Your stitching looks great Jen. I'm a J too, so I'm watching yours evolve with interest! It already looks so different from the pic of the finished piece. But then, they always look better!!! Pics don't do them justice. Glad you were at least able to enjoy the movie and Chuckie's. I've been there before, and madhouse is the right word. It's crazy in there. Overexcited kids, overextended parents!!!

Karenliz said...

Your stitching is beautiful. I can't wait to see it when it's all done!

Cheryl said...

Cute son you've got there, Jen! Glad you were able to squeeze in a little crafting, too. :)

Rebecca P said...

Love your beautiful stitching, can't wait to see the finished product.
Thank you for stopping by my little blog, & for your sweet comment.
Rebecca

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Happy Birthday Christian, he's the school year below my son.
I'm a "J" too so am watching this with interest like Julie. I think I'd like to stitch it in blues for me. My bedroom is blue, it'd look lovely in there.

Joysze said...

Happy Belated Birthday to Christian. Sorry to hear that it rained at the park. :( It was storming something fierce down here as well.

J is looking fabulous!!! :D

pennyd said...

You made a beautiful little boy, Jen! Hard to believe he's 7 isn't it? They grow way to fast. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your stitching project!

Joann Mannix said...

Thanks for my badge over there!

I'm a Florida girl myself. Central Florida here and the rest of the world doesn't understand about our lightning. Our lightning is deadly and when those afternoon storms hit, you MUST take cover or you run the risk of getting zapped.

I was just telling someone the other day that I like our summer rains. Ours hit about 3:00 and last for about an hour. To me, it's so representative of the tropics and I love that it cools off the steamy air for at least a little while. The lightning, however, I do not love.

And wow, wow, wow, your handiwork is truly spectacular. What incredible stitching. I am envious of people like you, I don't have a crafty bone in my body. I don't have the eye or the talent. But I love beautiful, handmade things. Can't wait to see the finished product.

And Happy Belated Birthday to your handsome little man, there. I'm with you on the birthday parties. Too much hassle and honestly, I don't think the kids enjoy them as much as they do, a wonderful special time with their family.

Anonymous said...

from Becca/Rebexie (PW): thanks for taking time to comment about my newest blog posting about moving and new teaching job. I'm super excited about the position--split position for home ec/FACS--2 hours of hs adult living that is for seniors only that will switch to parenting in the spring, an hour of 7th grade explore home ec (new group of students every 9 wks grading period), an hour of 8th grade explore home ec (same structure as 7th), and 8th grade career exploration (same structure as 7th and 8th)! There's also lunch duty, morning hall duty, and a period of RTI (response to intervention) that I'll be paired up with a 7th or 8th grade content core subject teacher to plan what concept or skill needs to get covered with a group of students I will be assigned with.

The design you featured in your posting is super! I haven't seen anything like it! Very nice!

Bekca said...

Hi Jen. Thank you for leaving such a helpful comment on my blog. I am a lover of all things crafty too and think it would be best to keep them all on one blog. I hope you had a nice time celebrating your son's birthday, shame about the weather though. Your stitching looks beautiful, can't wait to see it grow. Best wishes and happy stitching to you.

Nancy in IL said...

Hi Jen! Christian ia a precious little boy - how proud you must be!

I see you like Nora Corbett. Your "J" is coming along beautifully! I have lots of her older Mirabilia kitted, but only Scent of Old Roses started and has been put away years ago. I must get it out of hiding and finish my first. Maybe it would spur me onto the others!