Tuesday, September 20, 2011

IHSW Update and Other News

Hey Everyone! and O Look! I have new follower friends. **Hugs** and Welcome to my crafty blog space. Feel free to drop me a line anytime. :)

So! I guess you are all wondering about my stitching for International Hermit and Stitch Weekend huh? Well, I will be honest and tell you that I didn't do much. I did a little work on my Nora Corbett "J" Fairy. I stitched a part of her left wing, and added the beads on her head and around the outside of the other wing. That is about it unfortunately. Here's a closeup.


Here is a big shot:

Working on this design has started to become a struggle for me and I know why that is too. The lighting in my house is the problem. My eyes have a hard time adjusting when I stitch with the lighter colors. After about 30 minutes, I start getting a headache and I have to put the project down. I do have an OttLite, but I tend to get so hot stitching next to it. I know that is a common complaint with those things.

In brighter news, I did finish my Exchange piece for the Rotating Designers Exchange. Seriously...I actually "finished" the stitching into something and it looks great! I'm dying to show it off to you all, but I can't yet. I am really proud of myself because it is my first stitching project that was not finished with just a frame. I really hope my recipient likes it (and that it makes it to her). It has a long way to travel.

Oh and before I forget, look what I won today....

Okay, I know you are thinking "Mhmmm, it's a blue iron"...No friends, this is like the Jaguar of Irons! It is an Oliso Iron that retails for like $129 and I won it at Sew We Quilt. It was a great surprise to my day. The crazy thing is I just bought a new iron recently (a cheapie from Target) and opened it on Sunday. Crap! Anyways...If you have any inkling or desire to be a quilter or you actually do quilt, you have to go over to this blog. There are tutorials and prize giveaways everyday until the end of October. It is quite impressive.

That's it for me today...Happy Crafting and Stitching Everyone!
Jen

8 comments:

wendy111 said...

Progress is progress - I did not get a lot done at the weekend either. Congrats on your win - looks like a fantastic iron

Teresa said...

Congrats on winning the iron, I tried but happy for you.
Love the progress, sorry the light colors are hard on you.
Teresa's Heartfelt Stitches

Esther said...

Congrats with your Jaguar iron ;))) It looks like fun to iron with this one....aaarrrgghhh I hate it when I have to do it....but hey....I dont have a jaguar ;)))

Looking forward to you're "J"...its a lovely piece.

Joysze said...

Congrats on the iron win!! :D

J looks awesome, Jen. Do you wear glasses when you stitch? Would it help your headches?

Lissanne said...

I think your J is looking beautiful! I always have to have a light on my stitching also now. The overhead light just doesn't cut it for me anymore. I have a headache usually at the end of the day, but I have really bad eyesight.

Topcho said...

Congrats on the win! The beads on the fairy look really good. And I'm very curious about your finished project, I hope you'll be able to show it soon!

mdgtjulie said...

Congrats on your progress, even if it is only a little bit. And grats on winning the blue iron! If you got a cheapie from Target, it probably won't last long!

ReneƩ Matarese said...

Hi Jen, I just wanted to thank you for your kind words on my blog while I was "Offline" due to flooding. I'm officially "back" as of today. I should begin having regular DT posts this week. I know what you mean about blogger. She can be fickle. I can see my followers button today so hopefully you can too. Your blog is beautiful and your cross stitching is amazing. My grandparents both did that. (yes, grandpa too) I've never given it a try. You're very talented. See you again soon. Renee