Friday, December 30, 2011

A Special Scarf Present

Happy Holidays Friends!

I hope you all had an amazing Christmas with loved ones and friends alike. I sure did. Now I am enjoying the first of a four day weekend off from work. Yay!

Well it turns out, I was not able to finish the quilt for my stepmom. I honestly don't know what I was thinking when I thought I could do the hand quilting in two months. There is always next Christmas though right?! Right.

So thanks to my procrastination, I had to decide on a last minute project for my stepmom. I had no clue until an e-mail popped into my inbox from Hot Potatoes. Did you ever watch the Carol Duval craft show on HGTV? The Hot Potatoes owner, Mary O'Neil, used to guest host on the show and do stamping projects. She was always so much fun to watch, and just extremely talented with stamps.

In recent years, Mary started selling Velvet Scarf Kits on her website. The fun part with these scarfs is that not only does she give you all the materials and the easy directions to sew it together, but she gives you instructions on how to emboss the velvet using an iron and a rubber stamp. This was my first time doing this technique. It was really cool.

I did not emboss the swirls on the front. That was velvet fabric that came that way already. I embossed the black piece with the starburst images.

I won't lie. The sewing part was a pain. I've never sewed on velvet, and have heard it is not pleasant to work with cause it moves so much. I definitely did my fair share of ripping stitches and re-sewing seams. If you are an expert at sewing velvet, this project is supposed to take 2 hours to do. If you are not, give yourself at least 6. :D

Happy New Years!
Jen

2 comments:

cucki said...

wow very beautiful scarf..
love for you xx

Caitlin @ Naughts Cross Stitches said...

beautiful scarf :D The colours are gorgeous.